As a self-evaluation, I feel like I have done well in learning the software, After Effects, and learning different tools and editing techniques on it. However, there’s still a lot to improve on to fully polish the video.
Rotoscoping is the act of masking a specific area in the same video or scene to change the background or contents around the rotoscoped area.
This tool was used for scene 1, 2 and 4 so that the character is hidden behind whatever object its supposed to behind of.
As a part of the final scene, I had to create a disintegration effect for the character to turn into the orb.
Results will be seen once I have uploaded the final video.
Finally! I have finished the last scene which is scene 5. This scene is where our character finally catches up to the orb and he turns into an orb himself. The meaning is up to interpretation to anyone who watches the video. The whole composition should be wrapping up soon and will uploaded to be available for viewing.
Finally, I have finished animating the longest sequence/scene out of the five scenes in the project and its now possible to actually render out and edit it in after effects to add some effects to it.
Scene 3 is the longest sequence, even though it doesn’t look like it. This part is still the character chasing down the orb but got exhausted in the process, finds it and jumps up to try and touch it and then chases it again.
This is the fourth scene with the character chasing the orb till it lands on the bench.
I will be uploading the last mock screenshot once I have finished the animation for it and then I’ll be onto more editing of the video and masking the character out of the scene when it passes through objects that he should be behind of. I’ll also be posting about that soon and will be posting a video tutorial from youtube.
So when I started talked to Ryan a few weeks back, he suggested that I make some mock screenshots of my animation.
I started doing that for the first scene but thought that it would be easier to take the screenshots whilst I animate the character for each scene.
This mock screenshot was made in Photoshop with the character just rendered in Maya and saved as a .png and the orb was made in a separate layer with an outer glow effect.
I decided on the more simplistic orb which was made in Flash and imported into a After Effects to add a glowing effect on it after asking for the opinion of several people and I agree that it looked much better than the other ones I have made.
The above scene was taken from my After effects file for compositing all the videos/ image sequences together. Effects and colour correction will be on a different posts. Above is Scene 1.
More of the Mock screenshots will be up and posted once I have animated them.
I’ve decided to go ahead and animate the 2D part first as it would be better for me that way. I edited the video clips and also added some effects to the orb to make it glow and now I am onto 3D animation.